Children’s Specialist and Bookseller
Snug Books is now hiring! We are looking for booksellers who love reading, culture, Baltimore City, our Northeast neighborhood, and giving customers a great experience. Snug Books aims to celebrate a variety of reading tastes and genres and welcomes readers of all ages and backgrounds.
This part-time position is both the Children’s Specialist and a frontline sales floor bookselling position. This position will work a minimum of 24 hours per week, the position is an hourly, non-exempt position that reports to the Store Manager. This position requires weekend and evening work, and travel to and from special events like book fairs, outdoor markets, or other bookstore events/locations. Staff are expected to participate in social media and assist in event hosting. Two monthly staff picks, learning about the books we carry, being able to make recommendations, and staying engaged and informed of Snug Books programming is expected. Booksellers should be self starting, active, organized, and have the ability to multitask. We ask that everyone acquaint themselves with the trends of the book world, including bestsellers and popular books, and should get familiar with the book industry.
Currently, Snug Books is open Sunday through Thursday 10am-6pm and Friday & Saturday 9 am to 7pm. Hours are not likely to change significantly, but changes may be made seasonally, for Holidays, or for special events. The store is always closed on July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. The Children’s Specialist and Bookseller position is a part-time position and starting pay is 17/hr. Shifts will include evenings and at least one weekend day. Salary/ hourly wage commensurate with experience, longevity, and additional assignments at the store. This position is being created to create new revenue streams and increase existing ones.
Bookseller Main Job Duties:
- Answering phone calls and making customer phone calls
- Answering customer emails
- Provide friendly, knowledgeable assistance to customers with finding books, making book recommendations (hand selling), and placing special orders
- Accurately check out customers out at the register, online orders, curbside pickup, and offsite events
- Counting cash drawer at beginning and end of shift
- Shelving, alphabetizing, organizing books and merchandise
- Writing at least two monthly staff pick book recommendations
- Cleaning of the store, dusting, vacuuming, taking out trash & recycling etc.
- Opening and closing the store
- Assist in the hosting and managing of events
- Working as part of a team to complete projects and host events
- Complete other tasks, such as art for the store, book repair and maintenance, shipping of merchandise etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Children’s Specialist Main Job Duties:
- Design, implement, and manage 3 monthly book club events, one for late Elementary, one for Middle School, and one for High School (Monday nights after store hours)
- With manager, build relationships with local schools, PTO’s, and other child-focused organizations
- With manager, facilitate bulk sales, plan, advertise, and host book fairs and author events
- Plan, manage, and host a weekly storytime at the bookstore
- Plan, manage, and host events and activities for children (afternoons, half days, days off, summer etc.)
- Collect summer and school year reading lists for local schools and promote store sales
- Plan and facilitate a children’s reading program during the summer
- Assist owner in the frontlist and backlist buying for the children’s sections of the bookstore
- Work with local children that come to the store often
- Train fellow staff members on best practices in working with children and children’s lit.
- Experience working with children
- If an offer of employment is made, must be able to pass a background check to work with children
- A love for reading and books and ability to speak about literature and popular titles (both classic and contemporary)
- Experience in children’s literature
- High School diploma or equivalent - higher education beyond this is preferred but not required
- Ability to establish and maintain an organized workspace and follow store processes
- Ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and has strong attention to detail
- A positive, helpful, and kind demeanor when helping customers
- Experience working with computers and database systems
- Customer service experience and strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with a cash register
- Has reliable transportation to and from work
- Has and will maintain a valid driver's license in good standing
- Able to speak, read, and write fluently in English
- Compassionate and respectful management/conflict resolution skills
- Enjoys working within a team but is self-motivated and able to work independently
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and stand for long periods of time
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, and lift items as part of job duties
- Ability to drive to off site events
- Up to date vaccinations for COVID-19, with booster(s), and willing to show proof of vaccination, with reasonable accommodations
- Can and will wear a mask properly for an extended period of time while working
Helpful experience but not required:
- Worked in a bookstore, library, or retail previously
- Social media content creation experience
- Inventory management experience
- Merchandising experience
- Speaks Spanish fluently
- Paid Leave Time after 6 months of employment
- Paid Sick/Personal Time after 6 months of employment
- Health Insurance Contribution after 6 months of employment
- Employee Discount upon hiring
- Simple IRA with employer match upon hiring
- Professional development opportunities upon hiring
How to Apply: We encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply.
1. Submit your resume as an email attachment
2. Respond to the following questions in the body of the email
a. Why do you want to work here?
b. In the workplace, what does commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you?
c. What is a favorite book of yours? Tell me a little bit about the book as though I am a customer and you are trying to sell it to me.
3. Include 3 professional references as an attachment or in the body of your email
4. Email items 1 thru 3 to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please include your name and the word “application”.
5. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls.