People's Book Bookseller
People’s Book Bookseller
Location: 7014-A Westmoreland Ave, Takoma Park, MD
Position is available: (approximately) June 5; subject to change based on opening timeline
Who are we?
People’s Book is a new general purpose, family run bookstore located in downtown Takoma Park. We are
in our inaugural year of operation, with an anticipated opening date of June 15. People’s Book aims to
provide readers of all ages opportunities to explore, learn, and connect in Takoma Park and the greater
DC region. We are proud to be rooted in our community and operate in a sustainable and inclusive way.
We are helpful, knowledgeable and want to share the joy of reading through conversation. While the
work at our bookstore may sometimes be emotionally and physically demanding, we hope it will also be
rewarding to serve our community and champion the cause of reading. We are excited to welcome you
to our team.
Who are you?
You, our ideal candidate, love to read. You are ready and willing to talk to others about the books you
have recently ﬁnished, the books you are currently reading, and the books on your wish list. If you haven’t
read everything, that’s ﬁne - neither have we. But we hope you’re willing to learn about and recommend a
wide variety of books. More importantly, we hope you have a customer-oriented attitude and a
willingness to make our community feel welcome in our store. A background in the service industry or
retail industry is highly desirable.
You are motivated to be part of a new, family run business and are a fan of Takoma Park. You have a track
record of being organized, detail oriented, and ﬂexible and are eager to grow within the role as the store
expands. You are an excellent multi-tasker. You embody each of our following People’s Book values:
● We are knowledgeable about books, old and new.
● We are friendly to all and ﬁnd joy in our work daily.
● We engage perceptively, taking cues from our community.
● We are humble and authentically seek to learn from each other.
● We attend to detail in everything we do.
Our booksellers will work side by side with the co-owners to set-up, launch, and manage the day to day
business. The hourly 40 hour per week role would require general ﬂexibility in hours week to week to
accommodate the store’s opening hours and possible events (including evenings and weekends). As a
founding member of our team, this role will have input in the design and maintenance of daily operating
activities and the opportunity to advance.
● Greet and attend to customer needs
● Answer questions in person, on the phone, and via email communication
● Provide recommendation and help customers discover new titles (e.g. “handsell”)
● Operate cash registers
● Support with the collection of bookselling data and trends to maximize goods sold
● Support in marketing and advertising campaigns as needed, including social media posting
● Place special orders
● Write at least one staff pick book recommendations per week
● Assist in the hosting, promoting, and managing of events
● Work as part of a team to complete projects and host events
● Host one or more book related events on an ongoing basis (e.g. storytime, bookclub etc.)
● Other duties as assigned
Maintain an Inviting Store Atmosphere
● Design and maintain displays
● Ensure open ﬂoor paths
● Keep all shelves tidy, organized, appealing and well-stocked
● Ensure cleanliness of all areas including check-out and restrooms (toilet cleaning, dusting, vacuuming, taking out trash & recycling etc.)
● Other duties as assigned
Conduct Behind the Scenes Operations
● Carry and unpack boxes
● Receive and organize book orders
● Open and close the store during some shifts
● Small ﬁxture assembly and maintenance
● Set up for and break down any store events (e.g. author signings)
● Data entry and inventory management within the POS system
● Minor website and email maintenance
● Other duties as assigned
Qualiﬁcations & Requirements
● Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
● Ability to speak, read, and write ﬂuently in English
● Ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, and lift items as part of job duties
● Up to date vaccinations for COVID-19, with booster(s), and willing to show proof of vaccination, with reasonable accommodations
● Basic math, keyboarding, and data entry skills
● Flexibility in scheduling (including work on holidays, excluding Thanksgiving & Christmas Day)
● Can and will follow CDC and local health guidelines
● (highly preferred) Experience in bookselling or related ﬁeld
● (preferred) Experience in retail or service industry
● (preferred) Ability to drive to off site events (e.g. transporting merchandise)
● (preferred) HS diploma or equivalent
Salary & Beneﬁts
● Starting salary of $15.40-$18/hr, based on experience
● Option for employer subsidized health care for full time staff
● PTO accrual based on hours worked
● Lots of free advanced copies of books!
Step 1: Apply
Please complete the online application at PeoplesBookTakoma.com/APPLY. We will do our very best to
respond to every applicant and let you know about any further steps.
The online application consists of:
● A standard application form
● Current resume
● Cover letter
Step 2: Brief Performance Task
When invited to participate in this next step, you will be asked to complete a brief job-related
performance task that will require between 15-30 minutes of your time and will help us better
understand the skills that you will bring to the job. The task may include activities such as completing a
self-reﬂection or drafting sample communication.
Step 3: Interview
We anticipate doing interviews in person in the next two weeks here in Takoma Park. Talking together
about the demands of the job and your skill set will help us ﬁnd the best ﬁt.