Bookseller Snug Books
Snug Books, LLC
Bookseller - At Port Discovery Location
Full Time, Min 32 HR/ Week
Snug Books is hiring for a full time employee who can work 5 days a week. The job will be two thirds of the time at our Port Discovery location and one third of the time at our Lauraville location. Our Lauraville location was our first, we opened in fall of 2021 and offer books and gifts for all ages. Our Port Discovery location opened in spring of 2023 and is a combination bookstore and gift shop that serves the downtown area as well as PD visitors. We are looking for booksellers who love working with people and children, love reading, culture, Baltimore City, and giving customers a great experience. Snug Books aims to celebrate a variety of reading tastes and genres and welcomes readers of all ages and backgrounds.
This full-time position is a frontline sales floor position that includes assisting customers in the store to find books or merchandise and complete purchases. Applicants should be good with customers and children. This job also includes work to maintain the store and receive and display merchandise and books. This position will work a minimum of 32 hours a week, the position is an hourly, non-exempt position that reports to the Store Manager. This position requires weekend and evening work, hours and shifts will change with the seasons, and this position may require travel to and from special events like book fairs, outdoor markets, or other bookstore events/locations. Staff are expected to participate in social media and assist in event hosting. One monthly staff pick, learning about the books we carry, being able to make recommendations, and staying engaged and informed of Snug Books programming is expected. Booksellers should be self starting, active, organized, and have the ability to multitask. We ask staff to acquaint themselves with the trends of the book world, including bestsellers and popular books, and should get familiar with the book industry.
Holidays: Both locations are always closed on July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Requirements: If an offer of employment is made, the candidate must take and pass a background check that allows them to work with children.
This Bookseller position is full time and starting pay is 17/hr. All staff are expected to work shifts that include evenings and at least one weekend day. Salary/ hourly wage commensurate with experience, longevity, and additional assignments at the store.
Bookseller Main Job Duties:
- Answering phone calls and making customer phone calls
- Answering customer emails
- Provide friendly, knowledgeable assistance to customers with finding books, making book recommendations (hand selling), and placing special orders
- Accurately check out customers out at the register, online orders, curbside pickup, and offsite events
- Counting cash drawer at beginning and end of shift
- Shelving, alphabetizing, organizing books and merchandise
- Writing at least two monthly staff pick book recommendations
- Cleaning of the store, dusting, vacuuming, taking out trash & recycling etc.
- Opening and closing the store
- Assist in the hosting and managing of events and book clubs
- Working as part of a team to complete projects and host events
- Complete other tasks, such as art for the store, book repair and maintenance, shipping of merchandise etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Book Receiver Main Job Duties:
- Receiving book inventory from all vendors into our POS system
- Filling in book information in POS - section, category, description, price/cost/percentage etc.
- Managing the book receiving process from unboxing till it’s ready for shelving
- Reporting book damages and similar issues to publishers
- Discounting books based on damages
- Processing returns to publishers
- Calling customers to inform them their special orders have arrived
- A love for reading and books and ability to speak about literature and popular titles (both classic and contemporary)
- High School diploma or equivalent - higher education beyond this is preferred but not required
- Ability to establish and maintain an organized workspace and follow store processes
- Ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and has strong attention to detail
- A positive, helpful, and kind demeanor when helping customers
- Experience working with computers and database systems
- Customer service experience and strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with a cash register
- Has reliable transportation to and from work
- Has and will maintain a valid driver's license in good standing
- Able to speak, read, and write fluently in English
- Compassionate and respectful management/conflict resolution skills
- Enjoys working within a team but is self-motivated and able to work independently
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and stand for long periods of time
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, and lift items as part of job duties
- Ability to drive to off site events
- Up to date vaccinations for COVID-19, with booster(s), and willing to show proof of vaccination, with reasonable accommodations
- Can and will wear a mask properly for an extended period of time while working
Helpful experience but not required:
- Worked in a bookstore, library, or retail previously
- Social media content creation experience
- Inventory management experience
- Merchandising experience
- Paid Leave Time after 90 days of employment
- Paid Sick Time upon hiring
- Health Insurance Contribution after 90 days of employment
- Employee Discount upon hiring
- Simple IRA with employer match upon hiring
- Professional development opportunities upon hiring
How to Apply: We encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply.
1. Submit your resume as an email attachment
2. Respond to the following questions in the body of the email. Responses do not need to be extensive, but should be complete answers.
a. Why do you want to work here?
b. In the workplace, what does commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you?
c. What is a favorite book of yours? Tell me a little bit about the book as though I am a customer and you are trying to sell it to me.
3. Include 3 professional references as an attachment or in the body of your email.
4. Email items 1 thru 3 to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please include your name, the position you are applying for, and the word “application”.
5. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls or in person inquiries. We will reach out to applicants if we would like to set up an interview.