Bookseller & Book Club Leader Snug Books
Bookseller & Book Club Leader, Part Time, Min 10 HR/ Week
Snug Books is hiring for a part time Bookseller and Book Club Leader who can work three days a week. The job will mostly be at our Lauraville location with some time at our Port Discovery Location. Our Lauraville location was our first, we opened in fall of 2021 and offer books and gifts for all ages. Our Port Discovery location opened in spring of 2023 and is a combination bookstore and gift shop that serves the downtown area as well as PD visitors. We are looking for booksellers who love reading, culture, Baltimore City, and giving customers a great experience. Snug Books aims to celebrate a variety of reading tastes and genres and welcomes readers of all ages and backgrounds.
This part-time position is a frontline sales floor position that includes assisting customers in the store to find books and complete purchases. They will also be responsible for managing and running our weekly Tuesday night book club meetings. This position will work a minimum of 10 hours a week, the position is an hourly, non-exempt position that reports to the Store Manager. This position requires weekend and evening work, and potentially travel to and from special events like book fairs, outdoor markets, or other bookstore events/locations. Staff are expected to participate in social media and assist in event hosting. One monthly staff pick, learning about the books we carry, being able to make recommendations, and staying engaged and informed of Snug Books programming is expected. Booksellers should be self starting, active, organized, and have the ability to multitask. We ask that everyone acquaint themselves with the trends of the book world, including bestsellers and popular books, and should get familiar with the book industry.
Currently, Snug Books in North East Baltimore is open Sunday through Thursday 10am-6pm and Friday & Saturday 9 am to 7pm. Snug Books at Port Discovery hours currently follow the museum's schedule which changes slightly with the season or special events. Hours are not likely to change significantly, but changes will be made seasonally, for Holidays, or for special events.
Holidays: Both locations are always closed on July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Requirements: If an offer of employment is made, the candidate must take and pass a background check that allows them to work with children.
The Part Time Bookseller and Book Club Leader position is a part-time position and starting pay is 17/hr. Shifts will include evenings and at least one weekend day. Salary/ hourly wage commensurate with experience, longevity, and additional assignments at the store.
Bookseller Main Job Duties:
- Answering phone calls and making customer phone calls
- Answering customer emails
- Providing friendly, knowledgeable assistance to customers with finding books, making book recommendations (hand selling), and placing special orders
- Accurately check out customers out at the register, online orders, curbside pickup, and offsite events
- Counting cash drawer at beginning and end of shift
- Shelving, alphabetizing, organizing books and merchandise
- Writing at least two monthly staff pick book recommendations
- Cleaning of the store, dusting, vacuuming, taking out trash & recycling etc.
- Opening and closing the store
- Working as part of a team to complete projects and host events
- Completing other tasks, such as art for the store, book repair and maintenance, shipping of merchandise etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Book Club Job Duties:
- Has participated in or hosted a book club previously
- Preparing questions and conversation topics for participants
- Leading and participating in the conversations at Book Clubs
- Setting up the space for Book Club meetings
- Sending email reminders to participants
- Assisting with advertising, event invites, and creation of promotional materials
- Keeping track of attendance data and customer information
- Working with book buyers to select Book Club picks
- A love for reading and books and ability to speak about literature and popular titles (both classic and contemporary)
- High School diploma or equivalent - higher education beyond this is preferred but not required
- Ability to establish and maintain an organized workspace and follow store processes
- Ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and has strong attention to detail
- A positive, helpful, and kind demeanor when helping customers
- Experience working with computers and database systems
- Customer service experience and strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with a cash register
- Has reliable transportation to and from work
- Has and will maintain a valid driver's license in good standing
- Able to speak, read, and write fluently in English
- Compassionate and respectful management/conflict resolution skills
- Enjoys working within a team but is self-motivated and able to work independently
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and stand for long periods of time
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, and lift items as part of job duties
- Ability to drive to off site events
- Can and will wear a mask properly for an extended period of time while working if needed
Helpful experience but not required:
- Worked in a bookstore, library, or retail previously
- Social media content creation experience
- Inventory management experience
- Merchandising experience
- Paid Leave Time after 6 months of employment
- Paid Sick Time upon hiring
- Employee Discount upon hiring
- Simple IRA with employer match upon hiring
- Professional development opportunities upon hiring
How to Apply: We encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply.
1. Submit your resume as an email attachment
2. Respond to the following questions in the body of the email
a. Why do you want to work here?
b. In the workplace, what does commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you?
c. What is a favorite book of yours? Tell me a little bit about the book as though I am a customer and you are trying to sell it to me.
3. Include 3 professional references as an attachment or in the body of your email
4. Email items 1 thru 3 to email@example.com. In the subject line please include your name, the position you are applying for, and the word “application”.
5. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls.